map below shows how you can do a circle tour of Labrador and
- Take the ferry from North Sydney (Nova Scotia) to Port-aux-Basques in
- Drive up the Great Northern Peninsula to the Strait of Belle Isle.
- Take the ferry from St. Barbe to Blanc Sablon in
- Drive east and north to Cartwright.
- Take another ferry from Cartwright to Goose Bay.
- Drive west across Central Labrador
on the Trans-Labrador Hwy to Labrador City and then south on Quebec Hwy 389
to Baie Comeau.
Prior to 2003 it was much more difficult to travel this route, as the ferry
to Goose Bay traveled out of Lewisporte in Newfoundland (much farther south). It
was the coastal ferry for Labrador, and went north up the coast quite a ways.
Delays were common, and it was questionable whether one could get on without a